Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Running Into Friends

One thing that I have really liked since I've been in Nepal is the Nepali concept of time. Typically time is viewed in two perspectives - schedule-based or people-based. America is schedule-based. We are constantly running around with our list of things to do, and we fit people in so long as they don't disrupt the greater schedule. We feel like we must get things done by a certain time. Nepal is people-based. Nepalis certainly have things to do, and get them done, but relationships and people always trump "the schedule" and things get finished when they get finished.

I've thrived in this environment because this is always how I wanted to live my life, but I so often became sucked into the schedule-based mindset - particularly with work and grad school! I still have to remind myself that everything'll get done, schedule or no, but I do my best to put people first. The last few days have been very much on Nepali time, and have been full and people-oriented.

The other day, I went to Thamel (the touristy part of Kathmandu) to get a sleeping bag, and ended up wandering into a bookstore. My affinity for bookstores is no secret, so I stayed the store browsing for quite a while. I ended up chatting with the store owner while I was there. It turns out we had alot in common, and both had ties to Virginia. His daughter is attending Leesburg College, so he had gone to visit. We spoke about my hearing loss (he originally thought I was European!), and how despite the fact that it is a disability, it has led me to meet the most wonderful people and has been a blessing in many ways. This, according to Paki, is the manifestation of Karma. It turns out that we essentially believe much of the same thing, only we call it by different names. Our conversation was wonderfully enlightening, and I thoroughly enjoyed making a new friend. On my way out with a few books, Paki generously gave me several more that he hadn't been able to sell.

On my way home, still in feeling very blessed, I walked past a beggar and decided that I would see if he could read English, and if so, I would give him one of my books. I stopped, and the man looked up at me in surprise when I asked if he could read English. When he nodded, I began to pull books out of my bag and asked which one he would like. He began to laugh and shook his head - "no English!". We both laughed, and I continued on. I tried! I would have loved to have given him a book if it would have benefited him!

I've also run into many other friends who I've previously met, both American (usually Fulbrighters) and Nepali (usually from the deaf community). It's amazing to think that in such a short time, I'm already running into friends in Kathmandu! It will be hard in Banepa at first, because I've established so many connections here, but I have no doubt the same thing will happen in Banepa within a short time.

I leave for Banepa tomorrow (Friday), and will have less access to Internet, but I'll keep in touch the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment