Friday, September 17, 2010

A Really Productive Day?

Address for those who want it:

Bethany Hundley
c/o The Nepal Fulbright Federation
G.P.O. Box 380
Gyaneshwor
Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel: 4444780

I know the telephone number at the bottom of the address seems odd, but it is actually vital to getting the mail here – think of it as a U.S. zip code  Also, packages can be sent, but only through first class mail – not DHL or FedEx since the address is a P.O. Box. Postcards, letters or even random thoughts written on napkins will be HUGELY appreciated and read voraciously!

I’m beginning to settle into life in Kathmandu (although soon I’ll be uprooting and heading to Banepa), and have started into the “post-honeymoon period”. Not that the post-honeymoon period is bad, it’s just the awareness that this is your new home and it has both amazing attributes and the flaws that are to be expected with anything. I think it’s a requirement for any new and exciting situation that will last for a long time. The the novelty begins to wear off, homesickness begins to slowly but surely creep in, you realize that the non-stop honking, barking and lousy internet connections are here to stay, and you begin to fit into your new world.

One thing I’ve certainly learned about my current home is that a productive day in Nepal is measured on an entirely different scale than is a productive day in America. Everything here takes FAR more energy than you would expect. For example; today was a really productive day for me – I got 3 things accomplished. Here’s how 3 things accomplished equals a really productive day:

First Thing: I met Janybu, a waiter at the local Bakery Café who’s been awesome about teaching me Nepali Sign Language (NSL), at a Bakery Café in another area of Kathmandu. He had the day off and was eager to learn American Sign Language (ASL). Like anyone who only has a few days off, he didn’t want to spend it at his place of work, and besides he wanted to see his friends from the Boudha Bakery Café. So I agreed to the place despite having no idea how to get there. This led to a lot of orienteering on my part (I am AWFUL with directions – I could get lost on a closed track. Seriously.), and the stress involved in finding a new place in another country. I found it – only a 30 minute walk! Then, it was time for the obligatory waiting period that occurs when meeting anyone in Nepal. Fortunately, he showed up early (after only 30 minutes). Next, Janybu explained why he was late, and had to introduce me to all his friends (all deaf) at the café. The lesson continued with food, instruction, conversation with various waiters, instruction, conversation, tea…..etc. It was a great time, and I met a number of wonderful people, but was definitely tiring. The amount of energy it takes to carry on a conversation in a language you don’t know is incredible!

Second Thing – Swetha met me at the café, similarly exhausted because the people at her affiliation refuse to speak English now that they know she’s learning Nepali. We then trekked (this is not an exaggeration – the streets and sidewalks in Nepal are not walked the same way those back home are) back to the Fulbright Office to pick up our new Fulbright Nepal business cards. This part of the journey took about 30-45 minutes.

Third Thing – We’ve been avoiding going to the middle of Kathmandu to pick up our ATM cards at the bank, so we decided to remedy that today. We left the office and started walking (towards?) the bank. 3 hours later we found it. Really. We walked, and walked, and saw a huge political rally, at least several thousand vendors, numerous streets, and more miles than either of us probably care to admit. And when we found the bank at long last, we were told they close at 1pm on Fridays. I think it would be safe to say neither of us was very happy at that point. There was a silver lining though – I found a place to buy contacts and ordered a few to hopefully get me through the time I get my luggage. Note to Delta – I would REALLY like to have my luggage back.

So, there you have it – this is why 3 things accomplished in Nepal is “a very productive day”. I was physically, mentally, and emotionally beat by the time I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment