Friday, September 3, 2010

Long way gone....

So I've made it to Nepal! Jetlagged and missing my checked baggage, but I'm here. I'm currently at a crowded internet "cafe" in Kathmandu so I'll just sum up the highlights:

1) Left Great Falls at 9am Sept. 1st, arrived in KTM at 10am Sept. 3rd (Nepal time). LONG flights!
2) I had a sinking suspicion that my luggage would be lost when the clerk at the first airport didn't know where Delhi. Unfortunately, last I heard my bag was still in the Newark airport.
3) About that airport - had to check in and go through security again!! Confusing place!
4) Met up with other Fulbrighters at the Newark terminal and the Delhi in-transit area. Played cards while stuck in transit for 4 hours, and waiting for our KTM flight for another 6.
5) There are two things that were going through my head as I took in Nepali streets for the first time - please don't let anyone hit anyone! and wow - they must be really talented to dodge all the cars, people, bikes, etc! The main rule seems to be that there are no rules and everyone loves honking!
6) Not being able to read the signs in town gave me a new respect and empathy for those who can't read or write - you miss so much without the ability to read books and your surroundings!
7) I'm staying with a Fulbright friend in KTM for a few days until after orientation, and her apartment is adorable! Very nice place with lots of flowers all around.

Heading on to the Nepali supermarket: I'll try to post pictures as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment