Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pics from Pokhara

So sorry these have taken so long to put up! I have tried at least 20 times, but even on good internet days the internet is generally unreliable. On bad days, many negative thoughts are directed at the little triangle icon that tells me there is a connection but no internet access. Out of frustration, it is now named the "triangle of death". Patience is certainly a virtue, but not one that I like gaining! In order to become patient, you must have opportunities to be patient... The internet in Nepal is apparently one such opportunity!

I hope you enjoy the pictures! If they convince people to come visit me, even better! :)


Breathtaking view from the Peace Pagoda. Wow.


Same as above but on the way up to the Peace Pagoda.


Some of the beautiful rice terraces in Nepal. They're created when an embankment is flattened out in a number of sections to make the rice paddies.


The Peace Pagoda in Pokhara. It displays statues of the Buddha on all sides that represent the 8-fold path in Buddhism.


Children walking down the mountain to go to school. The uniforms you can see are extremely common in Nepali education. It is rare to find a school that does not require them.


My friends who went paragliding with me - Swetha, Mikaela, me, Mary & Marissa. We went for Swetha's birthday. It was an incredible day and the paragliding was such a spiritual experience!


Learning how to run despite the parachute's pull. You start running, gain momentum, and then you have to keep running when the parachute catches air and pulls you back. Basically the idea is to simply run off the cliff. It's against all logic but totally worth it!


Me and my awesome paraglider instructor. His name was Igor, he's from Russia and knew EXACTLY what he was doing though I heard only snippets of it because A. He was behind me and I couldn't read his lips and B. He had a REALLY thick accent! When he gave me the reins and told me to pull down on the right side, I did manage to hear him yell "Not that fast! You'll drive us to the ground!" Oops...


Swetha's knees and most likely my parachute below although we were all so excited to get in the air that none of us really looked at which parachute we had. Regardless whose parachute, that's what we all looked like!

2 comments:

  1. AMAZING pictures!!! It's hard to believe that's real!!! And that you're living there!!! No matter how many struggles or challenges you face while you're there, you are going to have some incredible ever-lasting memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I really, really want to visit Nepal. Thanks for the great photos!

    Bill Halberstadt

    ReplyDelete