Sunday, October 10, 2010

I Can Face Anything With a Guitar in My Hands!

So things have been looking up since Thursday! I think I just needed to get the really bad day out of my way so that good days could begin again. It has actually proved to be rather cathartic. Some highlights from the last few days:

Friday I went to Baneshwor, a distant part of Kathmandu, because my phone had locked me out on Thursday night and I needed to get another SIM card. I took a taxi to the NCELL office because I had no idea where it was, but decided to be adventurous (and cheap) on the way home. I hailed a bus that was going to Bhat Bhateni (according to the conductor) and felt quite proud of myself for maneuvering the tricky bus system - or lack thereof - here. Sadly, what I didn't realize is that there are TWO Bhat Bhateni supermarkets. So I ended up far from my original destination and was dropped off on the the highway outside of Kathmandu in front of the "new" Bhat Bhateni. Fortunately, two very nice traffic cops came to my aid and hailed the bus to the correct Bhat Bhateni for me! So I got home....eventually!

Friday night was a fun night out for a Fulbright friend's birthday, so a bunch of us met up at a restaurant in Thamel. It was fun, relaxing and the food and company were awesome. Just what I needed.

Saturday night, Swetha and I went to Mike's Breakfast for dinner and WIFI. We were so busy enjoying fast internet that we didn't get home until around 9pm. When we arrived we realized that the landlord had accidentally locked the gate from the inside so we couldn't get in. I decided to be useful and set out climbing to the top of the gate, over the fence and down into the courtyard. I was just getting down when I noticed the landlord standing by the fence staring at me. They'd heard us trying to get in and had come to open the gate....oops. If barbed wire goes up around the fence it's probably my fault.

Sunday (today) was amazing for one reason - I got a guitar! I probably spent more on it than I should, but I figure that a bit more money to keep me sane is totally worth it. Besides, I likely have limited time to hear music - I'd rather hear music with better sound quality! I find it bizarre that God would give me both musical aptitude and a progressive hearing loss, but I am thankful that I have the time and ability to learn and memorize as many songs as possible. Regardless, the purchase of a guitar made for a VERY good day!

Tomorrow I go to the airport and maybe the post office (very grudgingly) to apply for reimbursement for my luggage and see if my other package has arrived. I'll most likely head back to Banepa tomorrow afternoon.

Hope life is treating everyone wonderfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment