Saturday, May 7, 2011

At Long Last, DOLPA

Part 1 of Many....

It's been forever since I updated, and I'll warn you that there may be more than you want to read coming in quick succession since my folks made it (!!!) and mom's on a personal mission to make me update my blog. More about my time with my parents as soon as the Dolpa anthology's complete.

A glimpse into Dolpa...

Quick overall facts about the Dolpa trip:

Transportation:
Bus - 22 hours going, 22 hours coming back (3 buses total)...
Public Jeep - 4 REALLY rough hours
Walking - 9 days? They all blend together in a haze of pain and mountains...
Flight - 1 Hour in a puddle-jumper going through mountains, hills, rain and fog

Lodging:
Porter Guesthouses - Beds? Sometimes. Mattresses? Sometimes. Bathrooms? Only Outhouses....Sometimes. Showers? Hahahaha. Food? Delicious.

Research:
Awesome teacher for the deaf in Dunai and only 2 students. 4 nearby villages visited and no deaf kids found (this is after hearing many people talk about how many deaf people there were in Dolpa). Where are the deaf kids??? Outreach desperately needed...



What we looked like at the beginning of the non-stop 22 hour bus ride "there". Enjoy the pretty picture because we went downhill fairly quickly. Don't believe me? See subsequent Dolpa posts!




No comments:

Post a Comment